So many things happening this week.  Yesterday was the honorable President Lincoln’s birthday.  His 204th birthday to be exact.  Yesterday was also Fat Tuesday, a time to feast and over indulge in things like king’s cake and paczki’s.  If you’re not familiar with paczki’s, they’re basically a jelly filled donut.  Nothing wrong with that.  Also, this week, at least in the area, Girl Scout cookies have arrived and are being delivered just in time for Valentine’s Day.  Yes, that happens this week as well, tomorrow to be exact.  Be sure to honor that special someone with a card, flowers, candy, a simple gesture of kindness or a thoughtful word.  To get you in the mood, I’ve found a few fun facts surrounding the holiday:

Approximately 1 billion Valentine’s cards are exchanged each year in the U.S.  The second largest card sending holiday next to Christmas.

Women purchase most of the Valentine’s, accounting for 85% of them.

Over 50 million roses are given for Valentine’s Day worldwide.

California produces about 60% of American roses, but the majority of roses sold on Valentine’s Day are imported.

73% of flower buyers are men while women make up the other 27%.

The red rose was the favorite flower of Venus, the Roman goddess of love. Red stands for strong feelings which is why a red rose is a flower of love.

In Victorian times it was considered bad luck to sign a Valentine’s Day card.

Verona, Italy where Shakespeare’s lovers Romeo & Juliet lived, receive about 1,000 letters addressed to Juliet on Valentine’s Day each year.

To be awoken on Valentine’s Day by a kiss is considered lucky, so pucker up and make someone’s morning if not a lifetime.

“Oh, if it be to choose and call thee mine, love, thou art every day my Valentine!”

Tom & Kim #4

~Thomas Hood

Best wishes,

Kim Sweeney